Wednesday 13 July 2011

A green experience


I just had my first green smoothie.  Made by me.  I've lost count of the number times I've been told how health-giving they are, the numerous recipes I've been offered, the opinions about how tasty they can be... I've always shuddered at the thought of drinking anything that had raw cabbage or spinach or chard or celery mixed with fruit.  And I love veggies.

Yesterday, I came across yet another article about a woman who credits the change in diet she embarked upon as being the major contributor for her being an almost 10 year cancer survivor.  She gave an example of her daily menu which included a green smoothie as part of her breakfast.  I groaned.  Not again.

This morning, whilst at the organic farm, a large glass of green stuff was offered to me.  It was about two inches from my face and the offerer was telling me how delicious it was.  ‘Orlando made it’ she said.  Orlando is 2 metres tall (he should be in the guiness book of records) and one of the nicest young men I’ve ever met.  I couldn’t refuse.  Then a waft of the ingredients reached my nose.  Boy, did it smell good or what?  One swallow later, I was stunned.  This stuff was delicious.

What was in it?  Chard (not my favourite veggie), banana (not my favourite fruit), kiwi, apple and mint.  Plus a bit of water.  I’m still stunned anything could taste so good and not be chocolate.  Or ice cream.

My attempt isn’t anywhere near as tasty, but at least I’ll never grimace again when someone mentions the words  ‘green smoothie’.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment